Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Ice Age Trail 50 was another good time in the dirt.

              I got it done. I averaged about 35 miles a week for this race, so my expectations were pretty low. I didn't put much stress on myself during the race, as I just wanted to finish within the allotted 12 hours. I finished with about 9 minutes to spare. There were some rougher spots. I hit a wall earlier than in previous races, which I expected. I was prepared to hurt on this one. I had to dig deep the last 15, and I turned it on to finish hard. I walked a bit more than usual, about 20%. I got a bit of an adrenaline rush when I knew it was cutting close, and ran at a pretty good clip the back 15, sprinting into the finish. I loved seeing that finish banner. This was an amazing race with people from all over the country. I highly recommend this race. It is challenging, the volunteers are pretty damned amazing, the supportive atmosphere is beyond words. Great race! I took 2 days off, and just ran a 4 at Gov. Nelson last night. Next up is my first 100 miler on June 1, covering some of the same trails, so this race was more of a training/warm-up. The Kettle Moraine 100 is the 'Big Kahuna'. I do this, and my DNA will be altered for good. I'm stoked. See you on the trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment