Wednesday, February 29, 2012

New Found Territory

               Well, I recovered from Austin extremely fast. My downtime was very minimal, and I'm up and running. Right now I'm in the beginning stages of training for my first 50 mile trail run. It starts out very easy and manageable, eventually excelling to 26 mile training runs. I'm both excited and terrified. This reminds me of prepping for my first marathon. It is new. New is scary. Scary is exhilarating when you concour it. Once I've run a couple 26ers, I will have a new perspective I think. I may up one to 30, just to mentally destroy the barrier I have. I haven't ever run more than a marathon at one time. I figure once I throw down a 30 or so, mentally I can run whatever you throw at me. It seems to be the easy choice for me.


                 Louisville should be a blast. I was thinking it would be hilly for sure. Not the case. For whatever reason, the marathon is relatively flat. Coming hot off the heels of a PR and knowing I have more to give, if my pacing is right, I plan on cracking it wide open. Fast, flat course?! Man, did  I luck out? All I need is decent weather, and it's on like Donkey Kong. Flat though, I don't even need that. 


               I'm stoked about this year. I'm about to find out just what kind of runner I am, and just how high my threshold is for pain, endurance. I've always been a bit of an envelope pusher. Running is perfect for me. I set the bar. I adapt and overcome. If it goes well, it's all me. If it doesn't, then I stepped in it, and need to clean it. But I will clean it, and I will continue.


So, I'm looking at: 


Shamrock Shuffle 10k
Madison, WI
3/17/12


Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon
Louisville, KY
4/28/12


Madison Marathon
Madison, WI
5/27/12


Ragnar Relay
Madison, WI to Chicago, IL
6/8/12-6/9/12


Dances With Dirt/Devil's Lake 50 miler
Baraboo, WI
7/14/12


Madison Mini-Marathon
Madison, WI
8/18/12


North Face Challenge/Madison, WI  Gore-Tex 50
Eagle, WI
9/15/12


Detroit Free Press Marathon
Detroit, MI
10/21/12


ING New York City Marathon (pending until April)
New York, New York
11/4/12

No comments:

Post a Comment